Am I Too Old for Dental Implants?
Posted by AllSmiles
Am I too old for dental implants? After wearing dentures for 22 years, I decided to get dental implants. I can afford them now, unfortunately, due to unexpected income after my father’s death. Dental implants would help me feel better about myself, especially while grieving. I am 70 years and concerned that my jawbone has no depth for implants. Have I waited too long? Thank you. Jeanna F., from Arkansas
Thank you for your question. Dr. Walden would need to take a CT scan of your mouth to assess your oral health and bone volume, but we will answer your question in general.
Is There an Age Limit for Dental Implants?
There is no age limit for dental implants. Your medical history and oral health will determine whether you can receive implants. You can be a candidate if your physical and oral health allow you to receive dental procedures.
Can You Get Implants After Wearing Dentures for Years?
Wearing dentures will not prevent you from getting dental implants. Factors to consider include:
- After wearing dentures for many years, you likely have significant bone loss.
- You must have enough jawbone volume to support and solidly anchor dental implants.
- Your implant dentist will recommend bone grafting before placing implants
- Bone grafts take about three to four months to heal.
- After your implant dentist places the implants, it takes another three to four months for your jawbone and implants to fuse.
- Your dentist will attach temporary dentures while you heal.
- When healing completes, your dentist will attach your final denture to the implant abutments or connectors.
How Can You Benefit from Implant Dentures
Benefits of implant-supported dentures include:
- Stable dentures that do not need adhesives or pastes to stay in place.
- You can pronounce words clearly and speak without dentures clicking.
- Bone grafting will help build up your jawbone, support your facial muscles, and improve any sagging.
- Dental implants stimulate your jawbone and prevent further shrinkage.
We recommend scheduling consultations with two implant dentists. Look for dentists with post-graduate training in implantology. Prepare a list of questions you want to ask during the consultation and ask to see patient photos of each dentist’s implant denture cases.
Chandler, Arizona dentist Dr. William Walden sponsors this post.